The paper presents the strategies of Middle East and North African countries in coping with COVID-19 pandemic in the first months of spring/summer 2020. It offers a categorisation of strategies basing on the available assets the countries have and political situation. According to this categorisation there are countries in which the pandemic is one more burden to bear that makes the current political or economic situation even worse (countries torn by war or serious internal social conflicts); countries that cope with the pandemic as good as it gets – taking their institutional capacities (Egypt and Morocco); the too rich to fail category of GCC countries, and two possible success stories (by that time Jordan and Tunisia).
- Acled Resources: War in Yemen, https://acleddata.com/2020/03/25/acled-resources-war-inyemen/.
- Aljazeera. 2020. Saudi Arabia to impose ‘painful’ austerity measures, triple VAT, Aljazeera, 11.05.2020, https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/saudi-arabia-impose-painful-austeritymeasures- triple-vat-200511040647800.html [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Alinson T. 2020. Tunisia nears zero coronavirus cases as it eyes tourism, Deutsche Welle, 13.06.2020, https://www.dw.com/en/tunisia-economy-hopes-for-tourists-after-coronavirus/a-53790180 [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- BBC. 2020. Coronavirus: Five reasons why it is so bad in Yemen, 21.06.2020, https://www.bbc. com/news/world-middle-east-53106164 [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- BBC News. 2020. Lebanon protests: Hundreds take to streets for second night, 13.06.2020, https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53031683 [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Daily Star. 2019. Lebanese govt to charge $0.20 a day for WhatsApp calls, 17.10.2019, http:// www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2019/Oct-17/493723-lebanon-to-charge-6-onwhatsapp- call-report.ashx [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- El-Sisi A. 2020. Egypt’s el-Sisi expands powers, citing coronavirus pandemic, Aljazeera, 9.05.2020, ihttps://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/egypt-el-sisi-expands-powers-citing-coronaviruspandemic- 200509070706295.html [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Hale T., Angrist N., Patherick A., Phillips T., Webster S. 2020. Variation in government responses to COVID-19, BSG Working Paper Series, Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford, May 2020.
- İnanç Y. 2020. Egypt fails to cope with COVID-19 under El-Sisis’ regime, Daily Sabah, 27.05.2020, https://www.dailysabah.com/world/mid-east/egypt-fails-to-cope-with-covid-19-under-elsissis- regime [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Jaishankar D. 2020. What does COVID-19 tell us about democracy vs authoritarianism?, Observer Research Foundation, 16.05.2020, https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/what-doescovid19- tell-us-about-democracy-vs-authoritarianism-66228/ [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Kleinfeld R. 2020. Do Authoritarian or Democratic Countries Handle Pandemics Better?, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 31.03.2020, https://carnegieendowment.org/2020/03/31/ do-authoritarian-or-democratic-countries-handle-pandemics-better-pub-81404 [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- KUNA. 2020. Kuwait in full curfew May 10, public allowed to exercise two hours daily – gov’t, 8.05.2020, https://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2891867&language=en [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Mezran K., Melcangi A., Burchfield E., Riboua Z. 2020. The coronavirus crisis highlights the unique challenges of North African countries, Atlantic Council, 30.03.2020, https://www. atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/menasource/the-coronavirus-crisis-highlights-the-uniquechallenges- of-north-african-countries/ [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Middle East Eye. 2020. Morocco arrests thousands for breaching emergency rules, 14.04.2020, https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-morocco-arrests-thousands-breachingemergency- rules [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Middle East Monitor. 2020. Algeria using COVID-19 to quash anti-government protests, 12.05.2020, https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200512-algeria-using-covid-19-to-quashanti- government-protests/ [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Moceri A. 2020. Morocco is a COVID-19 success story. But at what cost? World Politics Review, 15.06.2020, https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/28840/in-morocco-human-rightsdeteriorate- amid-a-strict-covid-19-response [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Naar I., Coronavirus: Saudi Arabia imposes 24-houe curfew in several cities, including Riyadh, Al-Arabiyya, 6.04.2020, https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2020/04/06/Coronavirus- Saudi-Arabia-imposes-24-hour-curfew-in-several-cities-including-Riyadh.html [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- North Africa Post. 2020. COVID-19: Morocco’s impressive management of the crisis stands as a model – France Soir, 3.05.2020, https://northafricapost.com/40563-covid-19-moroccosimpressive- management-of-the-crisis-stands-as-a-model-france-soir.html [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Nereim V., Westall S. 2020. Crisis Austerity in Oli-Rich Gulf May test Political Balance, Bloomberg, 3.06.2020, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/austerity-experiment-inoil- rich-gulf-may-falter-post-crisis [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Oman Observer. 2020. Some people detained for spreading fake news, 21.03.2020, https:// www.omanobserver.om/some-people-detained-for-spreading-fake-news/ [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Reliefweb.int. 2020a. Yemen COVID=19 Preparedness and Response Snapshot – as of 20 June 2020 [EN/AR], OCHA, 22.06.2020, https://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/yemen-covid-19- preparedness-and-response-snapshot-20-june-2020-enar [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- Reliefweb.int. 2020b. Libya COVID-19 cases double in 14 days as violence increases, exacerbating existing threats facing vulnerable populations, IRC, 12.06.2020, https://reliefweb.int/report/ libya/libya-covid-19-cases-double-14-days-violence-increases-exacerbating-existing-threats [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- WHO. 2019. Cholera Situation in Yemen. WHO. 2020. World Health Organization’s Global Health Workforce Statistics, OECD, supplemented by country data, https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS?end=1982&name_desc=false&start=1982&view=bar&year=2017 [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- WHO. 2020b. Using technology to contain COVID-19 in Oman, 17.06.2020, http://www.emro. who.int/health-topics/corona-virus/using-technology-to-contain-covod-19-in-oman.html [accessed on: 19.10.2020].
- UNHCR. 2020. Syria Regional Refugee Response, 11.06.2020, https://data2.unhcr.org/en/ situations/syria [accessed on: 19.10.2020].